CLEW Magazin November 2022
Hello CLEW fans, winter is coming!
1.7 million parts have been assembled over the past few months and we are currently packing your orders. So far this year we have customers from over 40 countries and over 91 stores worldwide. We're excited to wake up from summer sleep and head out with you - the snow under your feet, the sun on your face! We have been very happy about your numerous messages during the last days, weeks and months. You inspire us every day to do our best! We have grown our team over the past months and now have more than 10 new people in production. We are very happy about the more than 55,000 followers on social media. Your support - commenting, liking, tagging or sharing - makes us proud to have each and every one of you in our CLEW community. Keep tagging us so we see your wonderful posts and videos!
Your support is overwhelming. Our warehouse is already over 91% sold out! When we launched our Pre-Order Sale earlier this year, we had no idea how many of you would actually be willing to wait this long for your new binding. But we can assure you that it was worth the wait!
+++ New materials - more features +++
Since our establishment in 2019, progress and innovation have been our top priorities. We have established new materials, developed new products and grown continuously. Since the beginning, we believe in innovative ideas and pursue new ways to do so, based on our own research and development work.
Speed, innovation and creativity: these three things not only define our start-up, but are the basis for CLEW's steady growth. The result is increased productivity in the development of CLEW. We want to change the entire snowboard sport and therefore make no compromises in our product development. We question every part of our binding over and over again, change it immediately if necessary, and thus ensure constant improvement. We want to be pioneers, not only see progress, but actively shape it and lead the way. This development and this basic attitude run through our entire company. We want to improve all products in our range every year.
With the CLEW® Freedom 1.0 (22/23) binding we have set new standards in terms of usability and durability. Our new footbeds are not only 40% lighter, they also provide improved damping behavior. To match this, we have also optimized the material of our highback pads. For the toestraps and adjustment straps, we also rely on a new material formula that guarantees even better impact resistance at extreme temperatures down to -40°C.
+++ Guaranteed delivery until December 8 +++
Our production has been running at full speed since the beginning of September. We finished the packing and shipping together with our great team in Weilheim (Upper Bavaria) in the last weeks and your bindings are already on their way to you! This means that despite the tense situation with material shortages, supply bottlenecks and drastic price increases, we will be able to meet the delivery date we promised from the beginning!
Our environment faces a number of challenges that we at CLEW also want to address. For us, this means making sustainable choices and acting thoughtfully and responsibly at all times. We know that we are only at the beginning of our journey towards greater sustainability, and we have set ourselves effective interim targets to reach our ultimate goal. The advantages of our highly centralized production in Weilheim are that innovative, efficient technologies can be deployed immediately, helping to conserve resources. We are aware that many of our product's components are made of plastic, as there is no other way for safety reasons at the current time. For this very reason, it is very important to us to reduce our additional plastic consumption as much as possible, both in product packaging and in production lines. Therefore, we continue to use many wooden assembly units from previous years and step by step, eliminate unnecessary plastic from our production. We have also agreed with our parts suppliers to refrain from using plastic packaging as much as possible, e.g., not wrapping each individual highback in foil. At a time when globalization has given companies a wide variety of options for designing their production processes, we have chosen the only way that feels right to us. From the very beginning, we wanted all CLEW models to be produced in Germany so that we could control and optimize every single step of the manufacturing process ourselves. This refers not only to the quality of the binding, but also to the social responsibility we have for our employees in production and the resources we use. The challenging and difficult year 2021 confirms to us that the path "Made in Germany", with our conviction of a socially and sustainably acting company, is the right one.
New exciting team riders are joining our crew month after month. We are especially proud to have signed Jonathan Buckhouse. With more than 130,000 subscribers, he is one of the biggest snowboard YouTubers in the US. Who is Jonathan and what drives him? Well, he answered our questions for you.
1. II am Johnathan Buckhouse a professional snowboard YouTuber and father of two beautiful kids. I make daily snowboard videos for people all across the world world but mainly the United States. I have a goal to ride every ski resort in the US and there are over 470 ski resorts. It is a large goal but one will accomplish over the years.
2. My 3 favorite ski resorts have to be first my home resort Keystone Colorado, second Alyeska Alaska and third Telluraide Colorado. Of course this might change when I start traveling the word.
3. Thing that makes working with CLEW special is they figured out how to solve every issue with snowboard bindings. Being able to step into a board is crucial for so many levels and styles of riders. Some people really have a hard time binding over to strap in and clew solve that issue. As a park rider having the conveyance of stepping in but safety of straps is so important to me. CLEW Solves all issues with snowboard bindings and step in bindings. What I am most excited about with CLEW is just being apart! I am so blessed to work with such an amazing crew that not only believes in me but I believe in them. CLEW is going to be HUGE!
4. A guy named James who took me when I was 11 years old. James became my hero and from that first time taking me snowboarding I decided I was going to be a snowboarder when I grew up.
5. I started making YouTube videos in 2012 but they were just my season edits. In 2016 I uploaded my first snowboarding Vlog with the intention to make 130 Youtube videos that ski season with my younger brother, whether people watched or not. Thankfully people did watch our videos and 3 years later I quit me job with only 7,579 subscribers and went all in on YouTube. Now we have over 130K subscribers and growing.
6. For the 2022/23 season my number one goal is always to have the most fun on my snowboard as possible. That is why I make snowboard videos because they allows me to snowboard more than any other job would. Of course the goal to get better at snowboarding is always on the table. From getting better in the backcounty to landing my first BS 1080 the goals of improvement never stop. I also want to grow as a content creator and impacted more people to fall in love with snowboard just like I did when I was 11 years old. Lastly we will be riding 43 different ski resorts this season and I am stoked on that!
7. You can always accomplish your dreams and goals on some level. I always dreamt of becoming a professional snowboarder, being sponsored and living the ultimate dream. When I was 18 years old and finally got the chance to move to the mountains I realized my snowboarding skills weren't close to that of a profession snowboarder. So I just snowboarded because I loved it. I snowboarded every day and I got good at it, Still no where close to a competitive snowboarder but I got good! Then an opportunity presented itself and I ran with it! Of course that opportunity was YouTube and now my dream of being sponsored and living the ultimate dream life is happening! So never give up on your dreams, never stop looking for opportunities and always do it because you love it first.
For the second year in a row, we have implemented an exciting board project. We are very happy to be working with the guys from Moonchild.
- We want to offer you a matching snowboard with a dynamic CLEW design to go with your CLEW binding.
- We can benefit from decades of know-how and therefore rely on excellent quality.
- We want to offer you a new product that perfectly complements our binding and thus represents a perfect snowboard setup.
Who is Moonchild?
Moonchild Snowboards was founded in 2015 by Jure Sodia and Marcus Montgomery. Jure has been a passionate snowboarder and board designer since the mid-90s. A native of Slovenia, he is trained as an aeronautical engineer and heavy equipment designer. His true passion is designing boards. He loves to try new things and combine unusual shapes and materials with his ideas.
Marcus was born in Sweden and lives in Spain. He discovered his passion for snowboarding in the late 80s. If you watch the X-Games or the Olympics, you've probably seen boards from Marcus. He has been testing new materials and building the snowboards for all Capita team riders since 2010.
The snowboard in CLEW design is only available in a strictly limited edition and each board is marked with a unique number (1 to 50 / 50).
Site 4: Snowboard Germany
#ComebackStronger: Halfpipe rider Mark Schrott fights his way back after an injury
Fit as never before, Mark Schrott has started the winter. Focusing fully in the direction of the World Cup. But a mishap during trampoline training stops the halfpipe rider. After a syndesmosis ligament injury including surgery, the 18-year-old is now on his way back - and has his sights firmly set on the Laax Open.
A small carelessness at the Front Double 12 at the end of October throws Mark Schrott's season planning into disarray. During trampoline training, the 18-year-old halfpipe athlete twisted his ankle and tore his syndesmosis ligament. The result: surgery and a four-week break. Regeneration instead of training camps in Copper Mountain (USA) and on the Kitzsteinhorn (AUT) with the Snowboard Germany team. "I was really up for the season. I went full throttle in the summer. An injury like that in preparation hurts twice," says the Munich native.
But Mark Schrott still has his sights set on the World Cup season. His goal: to be fit again for the Laax Open from January 18-22, 2023, and to compete in the mega event in Switzerland for the third time in his career. From mid-December, he wants to give everything again to achieve this.
Mark Schrott is part of the German national halfpipe team. Born in Munich, he finished third at the 2022 German Championships. And he has also made a name for himself internationally: the clew rider finished sixth at the 2021 Junior World Championships. In addition to snowboarding, the 18-year-old is also preparing for his high school graduation this winter
Quote: "Snowboarding is freedom to go wherever you want, whenever you want. It's the confidence of knowing you can do anything you set your mind to. It's a chance to connect with friends or take time for yourself. It's many things to many people but it's never just a ride."
Site 6 Black Week Engagement
This year we decided to do Black Friday in a slightly different way. Black Week is the biggest shopping time of the year, because at no other time of the year do we generate so much traffic on our website and social media. Now is the time to take advantage of that reach and give something back!
We will not be giving Black Week discounts, but will be donating 5% of the sales we generate during Black Week (11/21-25). From the beginning, we at CLEW have focused on regionalism. With our donation, we also want to give something back to our region, which has always actively supported us and without which we would not be where we are now. That is why we are donating to the Hospizverein im Pfaffenwinkel in Polling, Bavaria, not far from our production site in Weilheim.
The Hospizverein im Pfaffenwinkel e. V. has been providing individual support and assistance to seriously ill and dying people and their relatives since 1992, in order to maintain as high a quality of life as possible.
We have chosen this institution in our immediate vicinity so that we can bring the donation personally and thus ensure that it arrives 100%! We would greatly appreciate your support in this matter that is so dear to us!
Mandatory helmet use
To reduce the risk of injury on the slopes, many ski resorts have an extended helmet requirement. Despite this helmet obligation, too many people ski without suitable head protection.
We have decided to be a role model for today's and future generations so that everyone can ski safely and have fun on the slopes. Therefore, we have decided to only sign team riders who also support this safety behavior and will wear a helmet for future photo shoots. Furthermore, we will not publish any new pictures or videos of riders without helmets on our social media channels.
We're actively hitting the slopes again in the coming months. We have photo shoots and content creations coming up. You can look forward to high-quality content in December and 2023! The next events are also just around the corner and we will keep you up to date where you can meet our entire team and our team riders live on the slopes. In addition, we will give you hot tips about ski resorts, new CLEW merch and giveaways for the Christmas season ;-) Be curious!Although we are still busy in the office or in the warehouse, we are with you on the slopes! It won't be long now and we'll be there with you at the beginning of December! Winter is finally here! Check out our new Spotify channel for musical vibes. The finest music for shredding! Feel free to write us via social media your favorite songs that are still missing. We always look forward to exchanging ideas with you! Be it directly in conversations on the slopes or via our social media channels. Every single message makes us very happy, because with your feedback we grow on different levels.
See you around! #keepriding
Your CLEW Team